To submit your work to Quabbin Quills, please read the following submission guidelines. You will find a link to the general submission and high school student scholarship submission portals at the bottom of this page after reviewing the submission guidelines.
Statement of Purpose
Quabbin Quills is a non-profit group consisting of authors banded together by the common love of writing. Our goal is to share information and tools of the trade with other writers as well as providing a platform to display their talents.
All profits will be used for future publications, workshops, and scholarships for high school students.
2019 Quabbin Quills Anthology
Voices of the Valley
- Use your imagination to explore the far reaches of this theme. While the story can literally refer to ‘voices’ and ‘valleys,’ feel free to be creative with this interpretation.
- Pieces that lack any connection to the theme will not be accepted.
- Any material that actively promotes or encourages hatred toward any race, religion, and sexual orientation is prohibited.
- Plagiarized material will result in immediate disqualification.
- This also includes previously published material in any form under copyright law. For more information, visit Stanford University or Cornell University‘s Fair Use and Copyright Website for flow charts and diagrams on this subject matter. The rule of thumb generally is this: if you didn’t write it and it is from after 1923, we cannot publish your piece with those song/film/story/poem’s words in it. We can publish your work without it, or with a simple reference to the title since titles cannot be copyrighted.
- Submitted material must be thoroughly proofread. If our editors are spending considerable time fixing simple errors, the piece might not be selected.
- While violence and expletives are allowed, the piece might not be selected if it is deemed excessive.
- We are particularly looking for pieces from the Quabbin Region, but we will consider pieces from or featuring the New England region.
- For Short Stories and Essays: up to two pieces, 500 – 4,000 words each.
- For Poems: Up to 3 poems will be allowed.
- All finished pieces must be submitted in Times New Roman, 12 point font, 1.5 spacing.
- One space only, after periods.
- Remove all headers and footers.
- Remove page numbers.
- For more information, refer to the style guide provided at the Writers Digest Short Story Submissions Guidelines
- Stories from both previously unpublished and published authors will be considered. We will accept works that have been previously published assuming the author holds such rights for us to publish the piece.
- You may simultaneously submit your work to other publications. We ask that you let us know as soon as possible if your piece was accepted elsewhere so we can remove it from our submissions list.
- Multiple submissions are encouraged provided you bring each of your pieces to the summer workshops.
Required Writers’ Workshop
If your piece is submitted, then you will be asked to attend a writers’ workshop sometime in January or February of 2020.
- Writers are asked to participate in at least one workshop either in person or through an online forum as determined by the submissions coordinator. Writers are expected to use workshop feedback to polish their pieces and resubmit at a later date. This information will be provided to those who submit.
- Failure to attend one of these workshops or not re-submitting your piece with reasonable edits can result in a rejection.
- All resubmitted pieces will then be professionally edited. Quabbin Quills board will make final decisions on appropriate content and language, however, we generally err on the side of quality writing.
We do not keep rights. We take one-time publishing rights solely for the Quabbin Quills Anthologies in perpetuity, however, all rights revert back to the author after publication.
There is no charge to the writer for submission, acceptance, or workshops. If your work is accepted you will receive one free copy of the book upon publication and the opportunity to read your work at our book launch party held in the spring.
(updated after agreement at general meeting, 06.07.2019)
To upload a GENERAL SUBMISSION, click on the following link:
To upload an entry as a high school student from the Quabbin area and participate in the opportunity to win a scholarship:
Download the following PDF that contains further helpful information about the contest and the writing prompt:
Voices of the Valley Student Writing Contest Information (coming soon!)
To submit your work, click on the following link: